PDA

View Full Version : some wildly spiny Fero wislizeni in the Sawtooths

peterb
02-12-2013, 11:00 AM
I've been trying to get more details on a recently published infraspecific taxon called Ferocactus wislizeni ssp. ajoensis. Might have found one or two in the Sawtooths this weekend, near Eloy/Casa Grande. Cool habitat there with a nice Grusonia also (I think it's parishii).

Facebook photo album, no need for a facebook account, it's a public link:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151493309916639.540040.523491638&type=1&l=34037ff06e

peterb

Saxicola
02-12-2013, 12:49 PM
I found the description, though I think there is more to the article than what they are showing. I am not a fan of subspecies and varieties as I think they are generally biologically meaningless, especially when described by Eastern Europeans who are notorious splitters. However, here it is:

http://www.cs-kaktusy.cz/journal/K2012-3.htm

Google Translate did a good job of turning it into English.

peterb
02-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks for that link. That one is up over at another forum, also. I wish they had done a more thorough job of distinguishing ajoensis from the standard form. But the one in my photo album with long, twisted reddish spines is probably what the auhtors call "ajoensis." Apparently the flowering time is significantly earlier than for standard wislizeni.

peterb

Melt In The Sun
02-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Not a taxonomist, but I'll throw in that F. wiz bloom times are variable anyway...I've seen some start as early as June, while the two I have don't start till september.

peterb
02-12-2013, 01:32 PM
True enough. I've seen wiz down around Ajo in flower in January. Hm. I wonder if that was "ajoensis"? Interesting.

peterb

Saxicola
02-12-2013, 02:55 PM
I think they may well have distinguished it in the article. I'm pretty sure all they are letting us see is the abstract and the description itself. For one thing, I don't see it being properly published in that article. The entire article is in Czech. You have to have at least a short description in English or Latin. Unfortunately it can be hard to track down these small foreign journals. You may have to see if a local university would get a copy through interlibrary loan.

My guess is that the Desert Botanic Garden would be the most likely location to receive it in your region. If they have it you may be able to see it in their library.

peterb
02-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Kaktusy is actually a major journal for hobbyists, fairly popular. I bet the library at the DBG does get it. Back issues in particular reach legendary collector's item status. The Kaktusy issue devoted to Ariocarpus is a classic.

The down side of this particular publication is the crazy tendency to publish all sorts of names for micro-split varieties. The Czechs are the world's greatest splitters at the moment. Edit: I am reminded, however, that some very interesting new plants that do stand the test of time get properly published in Kaktusy as well, such as Escobaria grata.

peterb