Xeric World Forums  

Go Back   Xeric World Forums > General Discussion > Pests and Disease

Pests and Disease Open discussion of Pest and Disease Symptoms, Diagnosis, Protocol, Prevention and related topics

Old 04-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Seedling

Ravens444 is on a distinguished road
Default Aloe mite video from Altmans

There are many of you that know so much more than me. I saw this on Youtube and was wondering what you think? Could this be one stage of the aloe mite life cycle? http://www.youtube.com/embed/BH2l3LnX550

Last edited by Ravens444; 04-14-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: not displaying correct
Old 04-17-2013, 07:27 AM
Offset

Quinton is on a distinguished road

The Aloe mite , Eriophes aloines is a truly formidable opponent.

One of the most important considerations is always to alternate miticides from different chemical classes .

We have tens of thousands of Aloes (really) and have a regular spray program using 7 different chemical class miticides with high pressure (30 bar) agricultural spray equipment. Unfortunately many of the remedies we use are not available/banned in the USA.

The focus for now and the future is breeding varieties that are highly resistant or immune. We already have many hybrids that are resistant/immune .Other breeders like Kelly Griffin are also selecting for resistance. Many pure species seem to be too.

On the bright side there is a wonderful organisation that is doing some serious long term cutting edge scientific research on this horrible mite. There have been some interesting findings already, but more on that later.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Offset

Pg.5 shows some of the research done by the CfAHR so far. This is an ongoing project.

http://www.cfahr.org/newsletters/CfA...ber%202012.pdf
Old 05-16-2015, 06:34 AM
Seed

Eremurus is on a distinguished road

Following the necessary surgery, I am having good luck with household/lab chemicals. After cutting off the galls, let the wound dry for 3 days. Then, using a small paintbrush, paint the wound with one of two things. The first is formalin (formaldehyde), which a good drug store or lab supply firm can get for you. The second is a household cleaning product called Jeyes Fluid, but I'm not sure this is marketed in the US. The main active ingredient in Jeyes is carbolic acid, and the fluid will need to be diluted 50% with water. [Carbolic acid sprays were once used to sterilize operating theaters in hospitals.] Three days after painting the wounds, check for any new green growth. If there is new growth, paint again. Very labor-intensive but it seems to work.

Note: both fluids can kill living tissue, so be sure to wait for the wound to dry before painting.

I know Quinton has been successfully experimenting with formalin as well. In fact, I got the idea from him.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:31 AM
Offset

Actually I don't use formaldehyde (formalin)..... I've tried it but I find that cutting out the galls and applying a full cover spray afterwards of an effective miticide/acaricide to be easier and generally more effective. Follow up 2 weeks later with a miticide/acaricide in a different chemical class.

Only painting the area where you cut out the galls doesn't eliminate all the other mites. Some mites live in the galls but they also live in the crown of the aloe.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:18 PM
Sprout

jamrine is on a distinguished road
Smile Looking for a sample of Aloe mites.

Hi Aloe growers,

My name is Jim Amrine, and I am a retired Prof. Emeritus in Entomology at West Virginia University.
I am trying to obtain a collection of aloe mites to study and photograph; a live plant with symptoms ("cancer") would be excellent. I am willing to pay for the plant(s) and shipping.

If any are interested, I am trying to compile a list of locations and hosts for this mite, Aceria aloinis (Keifer, 1941)(drawing attached)(type locality is N. Hollywood, CA). The mites have been recorded from South Africa, Swaziland, Thailand, Zimbabwe and (California, Washington) USA; known hosts are Aloe spinosissima, Aloe striata, Haworthia spp. and Haworthia retusa. There is a possibility that genera other than Aloe may actually be different species of mite. Collections and slide mounting of mites are necessary to determine if they are all the same mite, or not. If you have geographic records other than what is listed, I would be happy to add them to my catalog of eriophyoid mites [contains 4644 mites at this point].

I will be happy to post micrographs of the mites on this blog.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2016, 09:38 PM
Seedling

Viegener is on a distinguished road

Los Angeles here, and yes, mites. I'm not sure I can part with a plant, but would happily cut out some galls & send them. I'm not entirely sure of the species (label on the one that gets them most was lost long ago). Aloe schelpei seems pretty resistant, also A brevifolia & A striata. A x nobilis gets them often.

I've got dozens of other species & hybrids but all planted in the last year, which is why I'm trying to stay very watchful of them...
Old 12-29-2016, 10:51 AM
Ready to Mulch

agavemonger is on a distinguished road

Hi, Jim. I'm very excited to see you here on Xericworld Forums.

I have studied this problem (as an amateur, certainly not on your level) for a long time, and would be happy to provide samples and discuss my experience with combatting this problem for your study.

I am a wholesale grower in San Diego, California, with perhaps a thousand different species and hybrids, primarily in the Aloeacea, Agavaceae, and other loosely related genera.

Please send me your contact information. Let me know what is a good time to catch you and I'll give you a call.

Kent A. Houser
Cellular (760) 560-6462
Email cactusman.kent@gmail.com

Last edited by agavemonger; 12-29-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:33 AM
Rhizome

SimonV is on a distinguished road

I've done a quick search for Eriophyes aloinis (and Aceria aloinis) regarding its status in Australia and have turned up nothing. Either it is not found here or the number of aloe here doesn't make it a big enough problem to write about.

So my question is... what is the risk of bringing eggs/larvae/adults in on seeds? I was thinking of purchasing seed online from overseas sources, because a lot of aloe seed is on our allowable imports list, but I would hate to be to one who brought it in. Seed is meant to be treated with chemicals such as methyl bromide, however, I have brought in rose seeds before (Rosa moyesii) and stored them in a plastic bag and had small wasps chew their way out the seeds as adults, obviously unaffected by any treatment quarantine applied (they did not survive my treatment though... threw the bag straight into my wood stove ).
Old 01-19-2017, 07:17 PM
Sprout

Default Eriophyoids on seeds

It does happen, but very rarely.

A good example is the seed of various Cannabis. Often the seeds are in seed heads, plant material that actually serves as a shelter for the mite, Aculops cannabicola (Farkas, 1960). This mite can destroy a crop.

I seriously doubt that Aceria aloinis is transmitted on seed. But, I have not seen any research on this topic. Some researchers put seed into "hot" water with mild detergent to kill arthropods, but make sure the Aloe is not harmed. Has anyone tried this? I just checked for images of seed of Aloe vera; looks like wing-like structures on the seed; these may provide some shelter to the mite. I would check this out carefully. Keep seedlings in quarantine, and examine often for mites [you will need a 30X lens or a dissecting microscope]. Call Dr. Knihinicki for advice (Orange Agric Instit., Orange Australia).

Jim
Old 01-19-2017, 11:24 PM
Rhizome

Thank you for the reply. I have a whole lab full of monocular and binocular microscopes and up to x100 oil immersion lenses and digital microscopes so I will be able to check for them easy enough but I will contact Dr. Knihinicki for advice on developing a protocol for treating any seed brought in prophylactically because a lot of seed bought in Australia is also sourced internationally before begin resold here. Are there any biological, or ipm, controls, such as predatory mites, for it that could be used?
Old 01-19-2017, 11:34 PM
Rhizome

This made for interesting reading: https://capca.com/assets/pdf/Turf/Er...ke_Feb2015.pdf
Old 01-20-2017, 12:38 PM
Sprout

Thanks for the website. I was able to add several papers to my catalog on Aloe mite and related topics. My reference list is up to 8,465. Not easy to keep up with 4653 species of eriophyoid mites! [I have about 100 more to enter; I am behind in my catalog work). Thanks again! Jim Amrine
Old 01-21-2017, 05:50 PM
Seed

solartempest is on a distinguished road

Thanks for being so quick to respond Jim - I hope my live sample is helpful for your research.

This may be an interesting paper for you to read: http://horttech.ashspublications.org...2/186.full.pdf

The paper is related to two spotted mites, but I have attempted a similar method of eradicating mites. I used an indirect cleaning method with Avid plus surfactant in an ultrasonic bath for the entire affected plant. I was expecting that any eggs or adult mites will be removed through cavitation, potentially killing them, while also improving delivery of the acaricide into deeper areas that spraying is unable to reach.

For rotation of acaricides, I am also using Bayer 3-in-1 or Pyrethrin. This combination has proven to be extremely effective, based on my visual inspections with 250x USB microscope and a friend's laboratory microscope. He is a PhD in microbiology, but specializes in bacteria.

If any further mites are discovered, I plan trying Floramite next with a similar delivery method. However, based on the papers I have read I'm not sure it will be effective against Aceria aloinis.

Keep us posted on any of your further findings or micrographs!