Xeric World Forums  

Go Back   Xeric World Forums > Featured Discussion Forums > Bromeliaceae

Bromeliaceae Open discussion of xeric bromeliads such as Hechtia, Dyckia, Puya, and others

Old 03-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Seedling

BChan is on a distinguished road
Default Hechtia 'Bill Paylen's Brother' in bloom

1st and 2nd picture are of the titled Hechtia in ground and in bloom. The bloom spike is 4 feet in length and I have seen it larger on older plants. This pup division happened to bloom early (about 1 year after removal from the mother plant and 8 months in the ground). This is a Bob Wright hybrid and it is a male plant.
The 3rd picture is of another pup grown in pot culture where more stress can be added and it it is bright red compared to the pup in ground. The downside to this is the possibility of a smaller bloom spike due to lack of nutrients and moisture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	14911  

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	14912  

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	14913  

Old 03-23-2015, 11:29 AM
Root Bound

hoodidoo is on a distinguished road

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 AM
Well Established

Bob Bob is on a distinguished road

Now thats a Hechtia I'v got to start looking for. Very nice.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:54 PM
Seedling

Thomas and Bob, it is a pretty awesome plant that Bob Wright has created---Bryan
Old 04-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Ready to Cone

Andy is on a distinguished road

Nice to see it in bloom. He's shown what looks like the same plant at meetings I've been at but he only gave the formula and not under this name. I think this cross has been done at least three times by different people. This one looks to be the best.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:12 AM
Seedling

Hi Andy,
I have never asked Bob what the parentage of this cross is. Probably should next time I see him. The only 2 from this crossing that I have seen are this one and H. 'Bill Paylen'. Both are very similar to each other. As a note Bob Wright has made quite a few Hecthia crosses.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:39 PM
Ready to Cone

Andy is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I know he has done a handful of them. But still this one looks a lot like it is H. guatemalensis (or one of the other Central American species, maybe H. malvernii or the real H. dichroantha) x rosea. He collected the seed of the 'H. guatemalensis' and I believe he said it had red or pink flowers which would make sense that this hybrid would have such a dark and richly colored inflorescence and flowers. The three hybrids that I have bloomed that have H. rosea as a parent with a white flowered species the pink is washed out a little and is just a lighter pink. This has a gorgeous dark color!
Old 04-14-2015, 11:30 AM
Seedling

Your guess on the parentage would be far more educated than mine Andy. My knowledge has many limitations. I do have another crossing with a story to show on this forum but, I will not be able to post it until a week or two.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:56 PM
Seedling

Viegener is on a distinguished road

Just saw this. An excellent plant! Before I became a xeric gardener I was big into bromeliads & I actually got to know Bill Paylen. I still have a few plants from his garden.

(Also the late Bill Baker, and Dutch Vandervort)
Old 01-24-2017, 11:24 PM
Seedling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viegener View Post
Just saw this. An excellent plant! Before I became a xeric gardener I was big into bromeliads & I actually got to know Bill Paylen. I still have a few plants from his garden.

(Also the late Bill Baker, and Dutch Vandervort)
I met all 3 of these guys in the late 1980's and had contact with them until their passing, although with Dutch I had the least contact with of the 3. He lived in Ventura and he was the furthest away from me of the 3. I have plants in my collection from all 3 as well.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:53 PM
Root Bound

epiphyte is on a distinguished road

When I was a kid scratching my head trying to figure out how best to attach orchids to trees, little did I know that on the other side of town was a garden with lots of orchids growing on trees. I super regret never having had the opportunity to meet Bill Paylen and see his jungle. Later on I met Elmer Lorenz who had been good friends with Bill. Elmer told me about Bill's garden. Perhaps roughly around the same time, I stumbled on an article in the American Orchid Society that featured several local orchid growers... including Bill. I digitized the article and the AOS put it on their website... Orchids Outdoors in Southern California.

I made another friend, Jim Jaeger, who also knew Bill. Jim said that he had ended up with a collection of Bill's slides/photos... but he had given the slides to somebody else. For sure I was interested in seeing the slides, and perhaps digitizing and sharing them online, but unfortunately I never got around to making the connection.

I met Barbara Joe through the fern society and she also knew Bill and Elmer. Along with Mildred Mathias, they had been members of a small group of plant enthusiasts. I can't quite remember the name of their group... maybe "Leap Hoppers"? I don't think it could have been "Leaf Eaters". Anybody know who else was a member of that group?

Elmer shared quite a few neat really plants with me. But one plant that he shared with me wasn't so neat! It was a super weedy variety of grass. I can't remember the story exactly but Mildred was trying to find, or develop, a superior variety of grass for cattle. I think she got the grass, or its parent, from Africa? Not sure how it turned out for the cattle... but it sure is a vigorous weed. It's even growing epiphytically on my tree. I tried to Google search for the details but didn't have any luck. Anybody know the real story and/or name of the grass? It's rather interesting in terms of legacy. On the one hand, she has a botanical garden named after her. But on the other hand, well... "her" plant sure loves my garden!

Despite being close friends with Bill, neither Elmer nor Barbara Joe really attached very many epiphytes to their trees. They both had a few epiphytes on trees, but most of their epiphytes were in pots or on slabs of wood.

BChan, it's been a while so you might not remember me, but the last time that I was at your place most of your trees didn't have many epiphytes growing on them either. Of course part of the beauty of private gardens is that we're free to tend them as we please! But it is interesting why Bill remained rather so singular in his excellent epiphytic efforts.

If I remember correctly, I purchased a Tillandsia latifolia from you. It was viviparous and now that I'm thinking about it, I vaguely remember you saying that you got it from Bill.

It's fascinating how plants get spread around. I sure wish the idea of growing plants on trees would spread around a lot faster!
Old 01-26-2017, 04:13 AM
Seedling

Viegener is on a distinguished road

Wow, Mildred Mathias was one of the earliest plant people in LA, also Victoria Padilla. Just names I know from books...

I did know Gary Hammer though, and Guy Wrinkle. Sad how many of them are gone. It's a tribute to these people that we keep growing their plants. They were really pioneers.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:49 PM
Seedling

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphyte View Post
When I was a kid scratching my head trying to figure out how best to attach orchids to trees, little did I know that on the other side of town was a garden with lots of orchids growing on trees. I super regret never having had the opportunity to meet Bill Paylen and see his jungle. Later on I met Elmer Lorenz who had been good friends with Bill. Elmer told me about Bill's garden. Perhaps roughly around the same time, I stumbled on an article in the American Orchid Society that featured several local orchid growers... including Bill. I digitized the article and the AOS put it on their website... Orchids Outdoors in Southern California.

I made another friend, Jim Jaeger, who also knew Bill. Jim said that he had ended up with a collection of Bill's slides/photos... but he had given the slides to somebody else. For sure I was interested in seeing the slides, and perhaps digitizing and sharing them online, but unfortunately I never got around to making the connection.

I met Barbara Joe through the fern society and she also knew Bill and Elmer. Along with Mildred Mathias, they had been members of a small group of plant enthusiasts. I can't quite remember the name of their group... maybe "Leap Hoppers"? I don't think it could have been "Leaf Eaters". Anybody know who else was a member of that group?

Elmer shared quite a few neat really plants with me. But one plant that he shared with me wasn't so neat! It was a super weedy variety of grass. I can't remember the story exactly but Mildred was trying to find, or develop, a superior variety of grass for cattle. I think she got the grass, or its parent, from Africa? Not sure how it turned out for the cattle... but it sure is a vigorous weed. It's even growing epiphytically on my tree. I tried to Google search for the details but didn't have any luck. Anybody know the real story and/or name of the grass? It's rather interesting in terms of legacy. On the one hand, she has a botanical garden named after her. But on the other hand, well... "her" plant sure loves my garden!

Despite being close friends with Bill, neither Elmer nor Barbara Joe really attached very many epiphytes to their trees. They both had a few epiphytes on trees, but most of their epiphytes were in pots or on slabs of wood.

BChan, it's been a while so you might not remember me, but the last time that I was at your place most of your trees didn't have many epiphytes growing on them either. Of course part of the beauty of private gardens is that we're free to tend them as we please! But it is interesting why Bill remained rather so singular in his excellent epiphytic efforts.

If I remember correctly, I purchased a Tillandsia latifolia from you. It was viviparous and now that I'm thinking about it, I vaguely remember you saying that you got it from Bill.

It's fascinating how plants get spread around. I sure wish the idea of growing plants on trees would spread around a lot faster!
Hi Carlos, it has been a long time, but I do remember you. I very seldom remember who takes what plants from me. The T. latifolia large viviparous form that I have did come from Bill Paylen's collection. I do not know where he acquired it from. I still do not do much growing on trees and for me it is a long subject why I have not chosen to do much of this. I have even moved to pot culture on many of my Tillandsias as well.

When I first met Bill Paylen he was living in Brentwood which had decent climate to grow epiphytes on trees. Water quality was pretty good there as well. Even being the expert plantsman that he was when he relocated to Camarillo the growing on trees became problematic. The property had less suitable trees and the water quality was bad for epiphytes. He did very little on trees but I remember he build a wall which he was growing Tillandsias on. He had the growing faces of the wall facing east and west.

I met Jim Jaeger at the same time as Bill, but I have never seen his collection. At Elmer Lorentz's place I was impressed by the large amount of the property that he had covered in shade cloth. Mildred and Barbara Joe I never had any contact with.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:10 PM
Seedling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viegener View Post
Wow, Mildred Mathias was one of the earliest plant people in LA, also Victoria Padilla. Just names I know from books...

I did know Gary Hammer though, and Guy Wrinkle. Sad how many of them are gone. It's a tribute to these people that we keep growing their plants. They were really pioneers.
Yes, both were bringing in some very interesting plants. As a note Guy's wife Jacgue finally was able to sell the Vista property and she is now in Arizona.