Xeric World Forums  

Go Back   Xeric World Forums > Featured Discussion Forums > Agavaceae

Agavaceae Open Discussion of Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Yucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, and related species

Old 11-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Root Bound

highdesertguy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Zone 6 hardy agaves??

Can you suggest zone 6 hardy agaves? I am interested in north american natives but not especially interested in cultivars unless they occur in nature (ex: A. Phillipsiana-early native american cultivar, etc). Thanks.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Ready to Mulch

GermanStar is on a distinguished road

A. parryi ssp. neomexicana might be worth a shot, A. utahensis certainly, and A. havardiana come to mind.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Ready to Mulch

Melt In The Sun is on a distinguished road

There are a few older threads around here worth looking at...

http://www.xericworld.com/forums/aga...rotection.html
http://www.xericworld.com/forums/aga...ion-agave.html
http://www.xericworld.com/forums/aga...st-agaves.html

You'll be better off if it's a dry cold. A. ovatifolia and A. montana come to mind.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Root Bound

Default Thanks, Ill take a look.

Northern AZ, it dosnt get much drier than here. -10 some winters.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Root Bound

Default Here is what I came up with...

Thanks for your help. Here is my list. I think there are more but these Im sure of.

Agave havardiana

A. ovatifolia

A. parryi
v. parryi
v. neomexicana
v. cousei
v. huachucensis

A. utahensis
v. utahensis
v. eborispina
v. kaibabensis
v. nevadensis

Possibly A. montana and A. toumeyama.
My search info gives conflicting hardiness on these.

Last edited by highdesertguy; 11-27-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Ready to Mulch

Melt In The Sun is on a distinguished road

Most of the conflicting info I've seen on A. montana comes out of the UK, which is about as different a winter climate from northern AZ as possible. Soggy wet goo kills a lot of cold-hardy plants over there. Might as well try a few things and see what happens!

Are there any native Agave near where you live? Northern AZ is pretty vague, but I know A. toumeyana, A. mckelveyana, and some others are native to somewhere in "northern AZ." -10 is pretty rough, but with a little planning and occasional protection I bet you can grow quite a few more up there.

You might try A. victoria-reginae, A. bracteosa, A. asperimma, A. palmeri, A. chrysantha, etc. Look back at that "hardiest agaves" thread and there are a bunch that are plants that are reported to take negative numbers.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Root Bound

Default Thanks Will look further.

Its true, many types of plants that are not supposed to do well here are here. Some of the varieties you listed are on my wish list but i didnt think they would survive or are marginally hardy here (near Prescott). I guess its worth a try and see how they do once established. Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Ready to Clone

Paul S is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
Most of the conflicting info I've seen on A. montana comes out of the UK, which is about as different a winter climate from northern AZ as possible. Soggy wet goo kills a lot of cold-hardy plants over there.
That just about sums it up. I don't think it will win medals for cold hardiness, per se, but possibly on the rostrum for cold/wet tolerance. Our summers are too cool, the season too short and on top of that we get the wrong type of snow.

Although it could be argued that the conflicting info comes from the USA - depends upon which side of the ocean you are looking from My wife says 'why do you always leave the toilet seat up!' and I say 'Why do you always leave it down?'
Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Root Bound

Thanks for encouraging further search. There are some I missed. I quess I will just have to test the ones with conflicting hardiness reports. I also find that if I accept 0* (zone 7) as a low temp. the variety broadens quite a bit. With the dryness and a little protection at the coldest times there are a number of interesting forms that may do well here.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Root Bound

Default Local varieties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
Most of the conflicting info I've seen on A. montana comes out of the UK, which is about as different a winter climate from northern AZ as possible. Soggy wet goo kills a lot of cold-hardy plants over there. Might as well try a few things and see what happens!

Are there any native Agave near where you live? Northern AZ is pretty vague, but I know A. toumeyana, A. mckelveyana, and some others are native to somewhere in "northern AZ." -10 is pretty rough, but with a little planning and occasional protection I bet you can grow quite a few more up there.

You might try A. victoria-reginae, A. bracteosa, A. asperimma, A. palmeri, A. chrysantha, etc. Look back at that "hardiest agaves" thread and there are a bunch that are plants that are reported to take negative numbers.

The only varieties Ive seen locally are parryi and parryi v cousei, both quite impressive whenever I have encountered it. To the south is the range of toumeyana, but I havent seen it. McKelveyana is to the west also not seen here. They may be here in the area, I just havent seen them.

Last edited by highdesertguy; 11-29-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Tags
zone 6 agave