Xeric World Forums  

Go Back   Xeric World Forums > Featured Discussion Forums > Agavaceae

Agavaceae Open Discussion of Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Yucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, and related species

Old 11-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Ready to Mulch

Melt In The Sun is on a distinguished road
Default Big yucca - I've got time

I'm looking for recommendations for a large trunking yucca. In Tucson I can easily find Y. decipiens/filifera (how to tell these apart??), Y. faxoniana/carnerosana, Y. periculosa, and maybe some others when I look around more. Y. brevifolia and Y. elata are around but I'm not interested in those. I've also seen Y. grandiflora around, but not seen it for sale.

Of the above, which could be expected to grow the fastest? I know they're all relatively slow; there's no time like the present to get it started! I'm leaning toward Y. filifera, since it has shorter leaves it takes up less room when young than the others will.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Ready to Mulch

Boo Hollow is on a distinguished road
Default Never Enough Time

Yucca elephantipes or Y. rostrata are reported to be fast growers.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Ready to Mulch

cactusmcharris is on a distinguished road

Any thoughts? I saw part of the movie you took your avatar's picture from the other day - I was spitting tea in no time (the scene where the uncle pulls the steak off of the plate and throws it).

You don't have room for two or so, I guess, because I was going to recommend both of Boo's suggestions.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Ready to Mulch

theinvisiblegardener is on a distinguished road
Default MITS Avator

I was going to ask him where that was from. I thought maybe it was a Warhol.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Ready to Mulch

cactusmcharris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinvisiblegardener View Post
I was going to ask him where that was from. I thought maybe it was a Warhol.
'Napolean Dynamite' - cinema verite!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Ready to Mulch

GermanStar is on a distinguished road

When you can't decide between A, B, or C, I say get A, B, and C. It's the only real solution. I'm up to 8 different Yucca varieties here, but only Y. aloifolia and Y. rostrata have any substantial size as yet. There are 8'-10' foot Y. filifera (I think) down the street from me. They're interesting but single-trunked and not what I would consider centerpiece plants. Likely a different story once they start branching.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Ready to Mulch

By Y. elephantipes, do you mean the thing that's sold typically as Y. gloriosa? I have one of those 'Silver Star' variegates, and I'm not sure I like it. There seems to be some naming confusion with those two plants and what I know as Y. recurvifolia. I know Y. gloriosa as a soft tipped, tall plant that branches from the base, and Y. recurvifolia as a short plant with pendulous leaves and needle sharp tips. Not sure whose names are right, but that's not really an issue for right now. Maybe another thread...

From a bit more research today, it seems that Y. filifera is a fast grower and Y. decipiens is painfully slow...everything for sale around here is labeled decipiens, but sure looks like filifera based on the few reliable-ish pictures I can find. Greg has some 25-year old Y. decipiens that are have leaves 2' or so long, whereas the plants for sale are quite a bit shorter than that. Somewhere on the forum I think there is a photo of someone's 10-old, 10'-high Y. filifera, but I can't find it now.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Ready to Mulch

Napoleon carved into a pumpkin!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Ready to Mulch

theinvisiblegardener is on a distinguished road
Default It's a smashing pumpkin

Is it really?

Last edited by theinvisiblegardener; 11-05-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Ready to Mulch

Maybe a little off-topic, but...yes really! Done with a stencil and a little saw, it's not as difficult as it seems.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Ready to Mulch

Back on task...how about the second one on this page? I may not have that much time!

http://desertedge.blogspot.com/2012/...s-grandes.html
Old 11-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Ready to Mulch

agavegreg is on a distinguished road

Y. filifera would be the fastest growing of the ones you mention. Y. rigida or Y. rostrata are a bit faster yet.

G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
I'm looking for recommendations for a large trunking yucca. In Tucson I can easily find Y. decipiens/filifera (how to tell these apart??), Y. faxoniana/carnerosana, Y. periculosa, and maybe some others when I look around more. Y. brevifolia and Y. elata are around but I'm not interested in those. I've also seen Y. grandiflora around, but not seen it for sale.

Of the above, which could be expected to grow the fastest? I know they're all relatively slow; there's no time like the present to get it started! I'm leaning toward Y. filifera, since it has shorter leaves it takes up less room when young than the others will.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Ready to Mulch

Thanks Greg. I think it'll be filifera...I find myself drawn to the green ones with the more robust leaves.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Ready to Mulch

They look kinda like little Agaves when they're small. I found this guy at big box a year ago last Spring tagged Agave filifera.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Ready to Mulch

Default filifera vs. decipiens

Can anyone tell which species this is? Marked A. decipiens, but I was told that it is a very fast grower...and it looks an awful lot like GS's plant above. These are available all over Tucson, mostly tagged A. decipiens. Sure is a pretty plant...

Old 11-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Ready to Mulch

That looks exactly like mine. Here is the original thread I started seeking ID help: http://www.xericworld.com/forums/sho...light=filifera

In 18 months since, it took some time out (a year?) adapting to full sun, then added a bunch of leaves and threads, but hasn't even begun to form a trunk.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Ready to Mulch

I took a camera along as I walked the dogs this morning. I thought you might enjoy these shots, all from a house down the road about 15 years old.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Ready to Mulch

Thanks for the pictures! Sure looks like the same plant...the plants in Phoenix and Tucson probably all come from Mountain States. Looks like they grow about 6-8"/year, assuming the discreet flushes of leaves are annual. I suspect they might grow a bit faster down here, since our summers are slightly less miserable...it doesn't seem like a big difference, but I think many of my agaves grow faster than yours
Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Ready to Mulch

I'm not sure they're all the same. Many/most seem to be Y. filifera/decipiens, but... Well, here are closeups of a couple. See what you think, the second looks different to me, and corresponds to #3 in the prior post.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Ready to Mulch

Steve Mudge is on a distinguished road

Yucca elephantipes (syn. gloriosa, guatemalensis) grows like a flipping weed out here on the coast but don't know how it does in the desert.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Root Bound

Luc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
Can anyone tell which species this is? Marked A. decipiens, but I was told that it is a very fast grower...and it looks an awful lot like GS's plant above. These are available all over Tucson, mostly tagged A. decipiens. Sure is a pretty plant...
I just finished to read Hochstätter's books and a lot of informations have surprised me. Similarities between filifera and decipiens were one of them. Talking about decipiens, he said, I quote "It is similar to, and easily confused with filifera " ..."Yucca decipiens, with its typically erect inflorescence, clearly identifiable from Yucca filifera" (Who is pendulous) "In comparison with Y. filifera, Y. decipiens grows more open, although it tends to have more branches".
There is pictures of young plants who are exactly the same of those of the nursery where you went, it's probably not a mistake.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Ready to Mulch

IOW, they are indistinguishable until after you've died from old age. I've seen Y. filifera pics showing 20' tall plants that haven't starting branching yet.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Ready to Mulch

I won't have died At least not from old age.

I wonder if one could core a yucca to induce branching? Climbing a ladder to the top of a 20' plant (over a bed of agave) sounds like a good way to die early though...
Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Ready to Mulch

You might still be around, perhaps in an assisted living facility.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Offset

Arizona Girl is on a distinguished road
Red face

I am just getting to know some of the Yuccas that do well in Tucson. I feel they are an under appreciated group of plants. For me, they are like the spice to the yard. I currently have 8 different specie of Yucca and can't wait to add more. (Oh wait, I just planted one a week ago)

My favorite of all is Yucca rigida. I planted this beauty back in 2006. It was a 5 gallon plant, and now 6 years later it looks like it is almost ready to go vertical. It looks splendid most the time, but under low angle light it glows.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/75404423@N02/8171005663/]

My latest addition is Yucca schottii. Bought a 5 gallon plant from where I work. I have observed this specie to be fairly fast growing in container situations. Will be interesting to see if it can take Tucson elevations. I've got it in morning and midday sun during the summer.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/75404423@N02/8171003533/]

I have two unknown yuccas in the yard. One was given to me from my friend Lynette, so god only knows where it's origin was. The other I can not recall where it came from. They are both moderate growers it seems. The one next to the Mexican Fencepost cactus put on 1 foot new growth in 1 year.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/75404423@N02/8171012543/]

Here is the one from Lynette. At about 1 foot tall it had outgrown the small clay pot it was in. I put it in the ground I think 4 years ago. Looking nice.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/75404423@N02/8171009301/]

Knowing how painfully slow growing Yucca elata is, I can sure appreciate those big beautiful plants in the landscape. Those 10 foot + must be pretty old.

If anyone has any ideas on my 'unknowns' pictured above, I would welcome your thoughts.

Janine