Xeric World Forums  

Go Back   Xeric World Forums > Featured Discussion Forums > Agavaceae

Agavaceae Open Discussion of Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Yucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, and related species

Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Root Bound

bigdaddyscondition is on a distinguished road
Default new addition--Agave Blue Emperor

I planted this beauty 3 weeks ago. It's from Rancho Soledad Nursery in Rancho Santa Fe, California and was developed at Rancho Tissue Technologies. Can't believe the otherworldly red color on those spines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Agave Blue Emperor.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	7470  

Name:	Agave Blue Emperor (2).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	7471  

Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Ready to Mulch

GermanStar is on a distinguished road

Hey Melt! Look familiar?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Ready to Mulch

Melt In The Sun is on a distinguished road

Sorta...I don't have one though! The red is pretty; must have been a nice clone of A. macroacantha.

I have 'Royal Spine' and supposedly 'Little Shark', which are very green and blue respectively. Leaves are longer and narrower than the pictured plant.

I think I'll have to track one down
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Ready to Mulch

It reminds of the pic you found on eBay. OK, not exactly, but maybe the same plant....
Old 11-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Ready to Mulch

GS, yeah it does a little, that one is more orange and round-leaved.

BDC, did you get it on ebay? I wonder if the ID is accurate. Your plant doesn't look much like the picture on RTT's website, which specifically mentions black spines:
Attached Images

Last edited by Melt In The Sun; 11-15-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Ready to Mulch

I'm guessing that eBay pic shows the plant in an unrealistically positive light. Might be the same, maybe not, but I was immediately reminded of it upon seeing the pic in the OP. Those bright red margins are eye-catching.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Root Bound

Default Agave Blue Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
GS, yeah it does a little, that one is more orange and round-leaved.

BDC, did you get it on ebay? I wonder if the ID is accurate. Your plant doesn't look much like the picture on RTT's website, which specifically mentions black spines:
Melt, I saw the RTT photo too, and you're right. It doesn't look the same. I got my Blue Emperor at Rancho Soledad Nursery, and I think they have a fairly close business relationship with RTT. That's my guess anyway, judging from their physical proximity and that Kelly Griffin (h/t to Kelly if he's reading this) worked at RSN until recently. So I think the ID is correct. The guy who sold it to me at RSN said the cultivar had recently undergone a name change, so that may be the source of the confusion.

Below is my Agave Royal Spine, which I got at a local Armstrong's Garden Center, a chain out here in southern California. It's starting to clump nicely. It's a macroacantha hybrid, and I think the Blue Emperor is too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Agave Royal Spine (2).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	7473  

Old 11-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Ready to Mulch

I think we're miscommunicating!

The attached picture turns up on a google image search for A. 'Blue Emperor', and looks just like BDC's plant. It's from an old ebay auction. It looks little like the A. 'Blue Emperor' on the RTT website, which I just linked above. So, I wonder if BDC's plant is actually 'Blue Emperor'. If it came directly from Rancho Soledad, I guess it probably is, even though the little guy doesn't look much like the mature photo.

GS, you're asking about the one in this thread? It is an entirely different plant, I think:
http://www.xericworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3870
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Ready to Mulch

BDC,
Yeah, A. 'Royal Spine', 'Blue Emperor', 'Little Shark', and 'Green Steel' are all supposedly the same two species crossed (A. macroacantha and A. victoriae-reginae), just different individual plants used in the crosses.

I think something's funny still...maybe someone involved can comment, but I don't think you have the same plant as on RTT's site. Not necessarily a bad thing...I think yours is better! Sounds like they just decided give the name to that red-spined plant rather than the plant on the site? Bad!

Nice 'Royal Spine' too...mine are still small.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Ready to Mulch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
I think we're miscommunicating!

The attached picture turns up on a google image search for A. 'Blue Emperor', and looks just like BDC's plant. It's from an old ebay auction. It looks little like the A. 'Blue Emperor' on the RTT website, which I just linked above. So, I wonder if BDC's plant is actually 'Blue Emperor'. If it came directly from Rancho Soledad, I guess it probably is, even though the little guy doesn't look much like the mature photo.

GS, you're asking about the one in this thread? It is an entirely different plant, I think:
http://www.xericworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3870
Understand, I assume the eBay pic has been altered/retouched, since Agaves don't really look like that, plus the lighting, water splash, etc. suggest a highly contrived shot. Then there's the fake id.... What does it really look like? Dunno, but it kinda reminds of the shot in the OP, with the red margins and attractive imprints.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 PM
Ready to Mulch

agavemonger is on a distinguished road
Question Ball of Confusion....

Perhaps the confusion lies in the fact that Rancho Tissue Technologies and Ranch Soledad Nursery both sell another plant called Agave X cv. 'Blue Ember'. That is the plant in Melt's first photo. That plant looks quite a bit like Agave X cv. 'Royal Spine'. It must have erroneously been called 'Blue Emperor' on the website in the past!?

I have some smallish plants that were offsets from a plant that Mikey Dude and I bought at Rancho Soledad a couple of years back, that have red spines and red margins, and they have juvenile leaves with a pronounced upward curve to them. Perhaps The Dude could post a photograph of the Mother Plant? Just to make matters worse, I have them labeled as Agave X cv. 'Blue Emerald'! Could that have something to do with the previously mentioned name change?! Or, perhaps more likely, I just forgot to write it down right due to old age?

Apparently, the leaf bud imprinting on Agave X cv. 'Blue Ember' is not too noticeable; certainly not as strikingly beautiful as on Agave X cv. 'Blue Emperor'. Also, the terminal spines and margins on Agave X cv. 'Blue Ember' are Black, with no red at all. 'Blue Emperor' also has a hyaline edge (it is translucent, you can see light through it), more along the lines of 'Blue Glow'.

Large, expensive specimens of Agave X cv. 'Blue Emperor' that are for sale at Rancho Soledad Nursery are certainly strikingly beautiful plants!

The Monger

P.S. You folks who have the real thing: are your 'Blue Emperors' offsetting?

Last edited by agavemonger; 07-26-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Offset

MikeyDude is on a distinguished road
Default Would the real Blue Ember step up

Here is the Agave X cv. 'Blue Ember' mother plant that The Monger is referring to from RS Nursery. It has a coating of miticide on it but still a good looking plant imo. The leaf imprints are decent but it's the nice burgundy margins that make it attractive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a. blue ember.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	13811  

Old 07-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Root Bound

Mikey, nice photo. The margins are quite dramatic, especially when backlit by sunlight.

Monger, to answer your question above--yes, I've gotten one offset from my Blue Emperor, which I planted in the ground in October 2012. It's in a one gallon nursery pot awaiting planting in my newly xeric-converted front yard.

It seems to be a hybrid that offsets infrequently.

Last edited by bigdaddyscondition; 07-28-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: to correct a date
Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Offset

Not to confuse things, but I have included a pic of an Agave x cv. 'Blue Emperor' I recently acquired (pics 1 and 2 and not from RTT). It looks somewhat like the version sold by RTT, has blacker terminal spines and is starting to turn a bluer color in the heat of summer. Not much in the way of leaf bud imprinting.

The third pic is of an Agave x cv. 'Little Shark' recently purchased from Rancho Soledad Nursery and you can see it's similarity. However is has more burgundy colored terminal spines and appears to be staying green.

The last pic is from the RTT website of the 'Blue Emperor', and mine has more similarity to this one, but certainly no a certain match.

Whoa what a mess! I'm lost.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1257.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	13814  

Name:	IMG_1258.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	13815  

Name:	a. 'little shark'.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	13817  

Attached Images

Old 07-29-2014, 02:28 PM
Root Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyDude View Post
Not to confuse things, but...
Mikey, not to worry; I think we've already done that for you. This thread has delved into the tangled web of nomenclature for what appears to be several closely related cultivars. As Melt commented on 11/15/2012 at 12:37, crossing macroacantha and victoriae-reginae resulted in several different named cultivars (is this the right word?), including my Royal Spine.

Taxonomists will always have a job, won't they?
Old 07-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Offset

I guess one way to deal with this is to get one like yours BigDaddy and complete the set.
The one you have is maybe the coolest variety. It's got the burgundy color and the best leaf bud imprints. The search resumes...
Old 08-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Root Bound

Gail is on a distinguished road

this is my 'Blue Ember'. I got it at RS in February.