Xeric World Forums  

Go Back   Xeric World Forums > Featured Discussion Forums > Aloeaceae

Aloeaceae Open Discussion of Aloe and the related genus such as Gasteria and Haworthia

Old 01-10-2017, 06:19 PM
Sprout

HBaumann is on a distinguished road
Default Aloe plicatilis Cultural Advice

I bought a large, mature specimen Aloe plicatilis about 8 months ago. It had been growing in the ground and looked great. I transplanted it into a very large pot and keep it in a location with ideal exposure for the species. I am aware of the watering requirements for the species and grow a large number of succulents - esp. aloes, but I just can't this thing to look good. Since I've owned it, it's probably lost 1/3 of it's leaves and most of those that remain are very thin and not succulent. I know this is all transplant shock, but I'm wondering how much longer this will go on and if there is anything I can do to stop the decline and get the plant to prosper. I just can't get leaves to attain any sort of succulence and I am very reluctant to water it more given the potential for rot to set in. Should I fertilize? Any specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have inspected the rootball and roots are putting on new growth. No bad smells, no rot.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:31 PM
Seedling

Viegener is on a distinguished road

Hmm. I live in Silver Lake & have an easy time with A. pilcatilis, though mine were grown from local cuttings & in full sun. They love the winter rain, and though they are said to like summer dry, I water them about once a week or two in later spring, summer, & early fall. It's from the Western Cape, so it should love it near the ocean. Do you know where this plant was originally grown?
Old 01-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Sprout

HBaumann is on a distinguished road

Santa Barbara but it was grown in the ground. I have it in a pot. This is a pic of it when I first got it. I wish it still looked this good...

How often would you recommend watering this right now? I was told to let it dry out between waterings. I never let it get bone dry so I had been doing about once every 2 weeks. Even though ET is really low right now with all this rain, I've increased to about 1x week. Soil is about 50/50 organic and pumice but the root ball is 100% silty soil from when it was grown in the ground.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:04 AM
Seedling

Viegener is on a distinguished road

It's a nice size. My guess is that it's still suffering from having many of its roots broken while digging out of the ground. So CA is a pretty great climate for plicatilis, so the long term outlook is good. You may indeed have been overwatering it.

I'd pull it out of this endless rain & wait til the soil dries out at least halfway before putting it back in the rain. I've pulled many of my pots with fussy cacti, aloes & agaves under cover.