Xeric World Forums  

Go Back   Xeric World Forums > General Discussion > Xeric Plantsman's Hall of Fame

Xeric Plantsman's Hall of Fame Important People in the history of Xeric Plants

Old 05-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Allen Repashy has disabled reputation
Default Loran Whitelock 1930-2014

I just learned the sad news today that the Cycad Community has just lost one of it's most influential members in history. Like many, I first learned about Loran from his wonderful book "Cycads of the World". Then years later, I met him for the first time when he came to an Agave Gathering I had at my home. I only spent time with him on about a half dozen occasions, but each time, I walked away with a lot of new wisdom and knowledge.

Allen
Old 05-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Ready to Mulch

Duke is on a distinguished road

He certainly was a wealth of knowledge, not only on cycads, but on platyceriums, clivias, epiphytic orchids, etc. He even dabbled considerably in agaves, palms, and bromeliads.

The title of his book (around 500 pages), was The Cycads. He and I have been working on an update (two volumes this time) for the past year and a half. Volume 1 on the cycads of Australia and Asia will be going to print in the next week or two. Loran did see and like the final version of this. Volume 2 on the cycads of Africa and the Americas will follow. The layout is not quite finished on that one.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:34 PM
Ready to Mulch

Saxicola is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry to hear that. I only met him once, at a Cycad conference in Thailand a dozen years ago. I bought a copy of his book from him there and was glad I did. I think it is great that he was working with you Duke since it means the book will be finished. If he had been on his own who knows what would have become of anything he was working on.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Ready to Mulch

You're quite right. His first book took several years as Loran didn't type, and he relied completely on Timber Press to put it all together for him. I already have a couple of books under my belt, so this third and fourth is merely a matter of course. The company that does the printing, Tien Way Press of Singapore, does high-quality work. I have seen none better. I suppose it's a bit odd to have one's final legacy completed posthumously, but Loran did see the electronic file of the completed volume 1, and he was fully aware of what was going into volume 2... and he did see most of that with completed layout.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Ready to Mulch

Saxicola is on a distinguished road

Just heard from a friend of mine that is very connected in the Cycad community that Loran's collection will be donated to the Huntington Garden. I think it is the perfect place for them
Old 06-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Allen Repashy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxicola View Post
Just heard from a friend of mine that is very connected in the Cycad community that Loran's collection will be donated to the Huntington Garden. I think it is the perfect place for them
Loran did tell me that his collection would go to them in the end. I hope that the collection stays intact at the HG and they don't use the specimens for barter with other gardens or just sell/auction them as fundraising material.

Allen
Old 06-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Seed

a1437053 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Is there no memorial web-page anyone has created?

I couldn't even find an obituary about him the local papers.

(I joined this forum just to ask that question!)

Last edited by a1437053; 06-11-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: add question
Old 11-22-2015, 01:13 AM
Seedling

kuni12345678 is on a distinguished road

I visited Loran's garden more than twenty years ago and purchased a number of cycads. I probably visited him more than thirty times over the years and enjoyed bring food and eating lunch together. I was told that there was going to be some type of ceremony dedicated to him, but I have not heard anything the ceremony. I was told that his plants are in the Huntington Library gardens.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:02 PM
Ready to Mulch

Default Loran Whitelock

Yes, Loran's cycad collection has been moved to the Huntington Botanical Gardens, as were all of his other collections.

The two volume set of The Cycads, based on Loran's original work of the same name, have been printed and are now available from www.superbsucculents.com

This 2-volume set has been dedicated to Loran, and the last few pages of volume two are a tribute to his life and his legacy.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Ready to Mulch

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1437053 View Post
Is there no memorial web-page anyone has created?
There is a Facebook page dedicated to Loran that was created for him by me about a year prior to his death... it's still being maintained.

https://www.facebook.com/TheCycads