Xeric World Forums  

Go Back   Xeric World Forums > Featured Discussion Forums > Crassulaceae

Crassulaceae Open Discussion of species such as Aeonium, Cotyledon, Crassula, Dudleya, Echeveria, Graptopetalum, Kalanchoe, Pachyphytum, Sedum, Sempervivum and other members of the Crassulaceae group

Old 12-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Root Bound

epiphyte is on a distinguished road
Default Not Echeveria harmsii?

This photo of an Echeveria caught my eye. It was labeled as Echeveria harmsii...but it sure doesn't look like the other Echeveria harmsiis. Any guesses what it might be? When I first saw the smaller sized version of the photo I thought it was an epiphytic Kalanchoe! But on closer inspection of the large version of the photo the form definitely looks like an Echeveria.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Root Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenopolis View Post
Looks like Echeveria harmsii to me.

What is the "other" E. harmsii to which you allude?
When you Google image search for Echeveria harmsii...the top (more relevant) results look significantly different than the Echeveria in question. The plants in the top results are far more compact...the leaves are fatter, fuzzier and more colorful...and the flowers look like candycorn.

If we were in basic training...and these Echeverias were lined up in a row...the drill sergeant would have said..."One of these Echeverias is not like the other". That happened to me all the time because I frequently forgot to put my cap on when I went outside. I had to do a lot of push ups in basic training. My drill sergeants were always telling me..."If we can't make you smart, we're going to make you strong!!!"...LOL
Old 12-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Root Bound

Quote:
I see a lot of different plats on the Google page. Not all are E.harmsii. Some are allied species. Some are hybrids. To which actual picture do you allude?

The only illustration that really matters is that of the original type.
Like I said, I was referring to the top results for the Google image search. The top results are usually more relevant than the lower results. And they look far more like the original type than the Echeveria in question.

For example, the Echeveria in the photo taken by Palmbob looks just like the illustration of the original type. The Echeveria in question looks completely different. It looks less stout, the leaves don't look fuzzy or show any color...and the flowers are a different color. I grow enough candy corn Echeverias to know that their morphology doesn't change that much when grown in shade instead of sun.

I think this might be karma. I like to give my Platycerium enthusiast friends a hard time by telling them that their dozens of bifurcatum types all look alike. They get flabbergasted and then spend 20 minutes pointing out the differences. When they are done I say that I still don't see it. Now it's just a running joke we have.

A few years ago, my bff was down for the holidays with his young daughter. The three of us went to the shopping mall with my Korean girlfriend. The girl really likes my girlfriend and they were holding hands while walking around. Something caught the girl's eye so she ran ahead to inspect it. It didn't hold her attention for long and she ran over and grabbed some random Asian lady's hand. The youngish Asian lady, who was walking with her boyfriend?, was really surprised that some little white girl was holding her hand. LOL! She stopped walking and said something to the girl. The girl looked up...and it took a few moments for her to realize her mistake. She quickly looked around and spotted the three of us laughing 10 feet behind. I'm pretty sure that I accused my bff of raising his daughter to be rayshist (a bit racist).

If I kissed some random Asian lady...I don't think my girlfriend would believe me if I told her that I thought the lady was her. haha

Do you think you can tell whether a random Asian is Korean, Japanese or Chinese? I'm better than most at telling them apart. But I can tell them apart 100% of the time when they speak.

When I went to the Huntington Gardens this last Monday...in the desert garden I heard Chinese parents saying "Xiaoxin" to their kids. It means "be careful".

[update]

I reminded my bff and he wrote...

Quote:
It was at the Snoopy Museum, not the mall, and Kaleigh realized her mistake and said, "you're not Malia"
before the startled Asian lady had a chance to figure out which karate move to kung fu the gwai lo attacker with
Yeah, I did think it was strange that I went to a mall.

Last edited by epiphyte; 12-26-2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: posterity
Old 02-05-2014, 01:46 AM
Ready to Clone

Nievesgirl is on a distinguished road

Best to check Echeverias here

http://www.crassulaceae.ch/index.php?TPL=10078
Old 02-06-2014, 03:32 AM
Ready to Clone

Nievesgirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Okay, you checked there and what did you find, Watson? N'est-ce pas?

I actually know what I'm talking about?

I did even better. I have Walther's book and photocopies of the original articles.
Bravo